Sunday, April 26, 2009

Resident Evil Extinction

Resident Evil: Extinction

Ok well hear it is the third and supposedly final resident evil movie well I’m eager to get this series out of the way so let’s get right down to it.

Ok so at the end of the last movie raccoon city was destroyed by a nuclear missile so what adventures will our characters get into in the mountains is it possible they will visit the facility from code veronica. Nope we jump ahead 5 years to a zombie infested wasteland with a quick intro by Alice explaining that the t-virus has infested a good percent of the population.

So where do I begin well first let’s talk about the plot progression. We go from an ending that copies the third game to the start of a story not present in the game at all. In the first movie we got a sort of side story to the first game in the second movie we had a story that imitated the second and third game but now in the third movie we leave all that behind and get a new story that the games haven’t reached yet and that also fails to utilize 2 characters from the game.

The first of these characters to be used incorrectly is Claire Redfield. At first in the games she is simply looking for her brother then later becomes a very strong willed capable fighter when faced with danger. In the movie they don’t cover any of her back story and now she is leading a convoy that hunts for survivors. The convoy may be something that Claire would have done but honestly she doesn’t do much else sure she fights a few zombies but I honestly don’t think the movie captures her personality very well and this version of Claire could have easily replaced with an original character.

The second character that was not utilized very well is Wesker. In the games he’s a great villain after escaping death in the first game by injecting himself with a version of the t-virus that gives him super strength and agility much like Alice's powers in the movies. If they had covered a tiny bit of his back story he would have made a great opponent for Alice with their abilities being very similar the ending battle would have been great and probably something similar to the fights in code veronica. Instead they let him be a strictly behind the scenes bad guy who is high atop umbrellas ranks.

Now honestly I think the movie handled the tyrant monster pretty good. In the games tyrants are constantly changing and developing new abilities so it makes since that this tyrant would have similar abilities to Alice so the fight would be interesting.

The action sequences are entertaining and pretty good. However more so then the second one this movie has even less horror aspects to it. At least in the second one while they are in the church and school there are moments of suspense and surprises but here there’s really nothing there’s one scene where a zombie comes out of a closet but other than that 2 second jump scare there’s nothing. Even when our heroes are being rushed by a hoard of zombies you don’t fear for them at all.

I think the main reason for this is how powerful they made Alice she is super strong she’s faster than normal people more agility and has psychic abilities. Which is another thing at the end of the second movie Alice’s powers have developed quite a bit but in this one which is 5 years later they are just starting to develop subconsciously it just doesn’t make since to me.

The ending of the movie does set us up for a sequel but there’s 2 things wrong with this one there has been multiple occasions where its stated that this was the last movie and 2 if they continue this plot line it won’t just be one Alice it would be an army of them and Alice is already strong enough having hundreds of her seems stupid.

Besides Claire, Wesker, and tyrant there’s nothing else from the games like the first one this is an original story which would have been fine if it was supposed to be after the games but the fact that they made it go in the direction it did does not help the series at all.

How would I do it? Well If I was going to simply alter this plot I would have made Wesker the main bad guy. If I was going to do my own movie I would have tried to do the story from code veronica which would have used both Claire and Wesker in better roles.

Over all the movie has decent and entertaining action sequences but fails to deliver in anything else and I’m glad it’s the final in the series so we don’t have to deal with the mutilation of the resident evil franchise anymore.

Overall the movie gets 4 out of 10 zombie crows. Entertaining action and pretty good CGI is the only redeeming factor for this movie other than that it’s really not worth watching.

The acting gets 6 out of 10. Like I said it’s not horrible just nothing too special.

The plot gets 2 out of 10. It took the franchise to a time and place it hasn’t hit yet and unfortunately the story just doesn’t deliver.

The content gets 4 out of 10. I really liked tyrant and it was nice they tried to include Wesker and Claire but the way they used these famous characters was poorly executed.

Ok well I’m glad I was able to get this one done as quickly as promised in my last review. Up next is Hitman then three Bolls in a row. I will try to pace myself with these as I do not wish to explode anyone’s head. However once I finish these that will conclude the Boll movies and I will be able to start writing my review of Boll himself.

And after that its only 2 more movies until I’m caught up and I have 4 months to do all this in as in august the Tekken movie comes out and I’d like to review it as soon as I see it. I hope the DVD for Chun-Li is out by then because I’d like to re-watch it before I review it.

No comments: